How Can We Help?
Respondus Monitor and Lockdown Browser Student Introduction
Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor are used to proctor this course’s exams, tests, and/or quizzes to ensure exam integrity and verify the identity of the student taking the exam. In some situations, you will be recorded, visually and through audio, during the exam.
- LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas.
- Respondus Monitor is a fully-automated proctoring solution.
Step 1: Download the Respondus LockDown Browser
Step 2: Follow the Guidelines to prepare for and complete your exam/test:
- Ensure you’re in a location where you won’t be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and also that you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Clear your desk or workspace of all external materials not permitted – books, papers, other devices
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer, Wi-Fi, or location is different than what was used previously with the “Webcam Check” and “System & Network Check” in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to the exam
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or device is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid readjusting the tilt of the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room, but avoid backlighting (such as sitting with your back to a window)
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Several resources are available if you encounter problems with LockDown Browser:
- The Windows and Mac versions of LockDown Browser have a “Help Center” button located on the toolbar. Use the “System & Network Check” to troubleshoot issues. If an exam requires you to use a webcam, also run the “Webcam Check” from this area
- General JHU help page is here: https://canvas.jhu.edu/faculty-resources/third-party-tools/respondus-lockdown-browser-and-monitor/#student
- Respondus has a Knowledge Base available from https://support.respondus.com/hc/en-us/sections/4409607115931-Student-Support.
- If you’re still unable to resolve a technical issue with LockDown Browser, please reach out to our help desk through any of the following methods: